The life cycle based social security concept is comparatively newer term which was first widely highlighted during the initial drafting of the National Social Security Strategy (NSSS) in 2015. The political viewpoints and programme designs of social protection in Bangladesh had gradually evolved from poor-relief to safety net approach and finally to life cycle based social protection. As a result, many of the training institutes and government officials have very less or no orientation on social protection though this is one of the major focus areas of the government.
In this regard, Cabinet Division has undertaken an initiative on piloting of developing a curriculum guideline for Training of Trainers (TOT) on social protection for BPATC and other training institutes to mainstream the social protection skills through different training programmes. In order to execute this piloting, a series of consultation, meeting, workshop other actions were taken place to identify the existing gaps and challenges of the training programmes in terms of capacity building on social protection and NSSS.
Cabinet Division worked tirelessly with concerned ministries/division and training institutes such as, BPATC, Bangladesh Admin Academy, BIAM and other institutes to sketch out a draft of the ToT curriculum guideline. To structure an initial skeleton a number of consecutive discussion/sessions were conducted with three training team of BPATC. In this discussion a number of recommendations, suggestions and comments were accumulated to develop the primary structure of the guideline.
After the fruitful meeting and discussion with BPATC team, Cabinet Division drafted an initial ToT curriculum guideline that emphasized following topics to cover basic ideas of life cycle based social protection and NSSS;
- Concepts of Social Protection and Bangladesh context
- Poverty, Vulnerability and Marginalization and social protection
- Impacts of Social Protection in poverty reduction
- Social Protection as a state obligation.
- Evolution of Social Protection in Bangladesh and Formulation of NSSS
- Broad Approaches to Social Protection
- Governance of Social Protection System
- Organizational Reforms on Social Protection
- Important Committees and Programme consolidation on Social Protection
- Training Review and Evaluation
- Session Operations Plan
- Handouts of the Curriculum Guideline