The Old Age Allowance programme began in 1998. It targets elderly men and women from poor families who are vulnerable and insecure. This programme is seen as a landmark Social Security programme for Bangladesh and the number of elderly population above 65 years of age stands as 47,61,700 persons. The allowance is seen as a step to diminish the suffering of the elderly so as they are not seen to be as a burden to their families. The allowance plays a positive impact on society on the dignity of elderly people.
Facts & Figures: Bangladesh
· 14,43,140 persons in the 65-69 year age group
· 16,26,240 persons in the 70-74 year age group
· 6,15,940 persons in the 75-79 year age group
· 10,76,380 persons in the 80 year and above age group.
- Men must be 65 year or over
- Women must be 62 years or over
- The elderly must not have an income exceeding BDT 3,000 per year
- Priority will be given to those who are physically infirm, physically handicapped, mentally handicapped, physically and mentally handicapped and partially handicapped
- Freedom fighters: priority for those who are landless, or homeless and have no wealth
- Social condition such as widow, divorcee, wifeless, spouseless and deserted from family will be given priority
Targeting of beneficiaries
Through the collection of local information and involving UP members by the Union Parishads, beneficiaries are targeted via a community level open meeting (ward meeting).
Beneficiaries receive BDT 300 per month.
|Social Safety Net||NSSS Provision||Present Situation||Gaps|
|Old Age Allowance||It will be accessible to all elderly citizens age above 60 who have income below 1.25 times the upper poverty line. The estimated number of eligible candidates will be around 65 lakhs
· Old Age Allowance will be significantly increased.
· At age 90 years, the value of the allowance will be further increased.
|The eligibility age limit is 65 years for male and 62 years for female
Total coverage is 31 lakhs
The allowance money is Tk. 500 which was only Tk 300 previously
There is no special allocation for people above 90 years
|Age threshold to be lowered to 60 for both male and female
Number of beneficiaries to be increased by another 35 lakhs
Special benefit to be introduced for 90+ people
Source of funds: Government Revenue